A Healthy Pregnancy Includes A Healthy Mouth
A pregnant woman with periodontal disease is more likely to have a preterm or low birth weight baby. Pregnancy makes women more susceptible to plaque build-up, tooth enamel erosion due to nausea and vomiting, cavities from sugary and starchy foods, and benign growths in their mouths.
In Virginia, only 44% of pregnant women visit the dentist, according to the Virginia Oral Health Report Card. We're working to increase that number through education, promotion, and community-led action.
Health Care Community Resources
- Increasing Access to Oral Health Care in Virginia: A Home Visitor’s Role: Catalyst partnered with Families Forward Virginia, Early Impact Virginia, and JMU’s Health Education Design Group to host this webinar on 11/5/2020 for home visitors about the importance of oral health, coverage options available in Virginia, and relevant upcoming policies. Home visitors play a unique role in ensuring the health of their communities and improving access to care.
- Virginia Health Catalyst Integration Care Model: Women's Health
- Educational Video: Oral Health Care During Pregnancy - View Part 1 | View Part 2
- Educational Video: Comprehensive Dental Care for the Pregnant Patient - View Part 1 | View Part 2
- National Maternal & Child Oral Health Resource Center
- Oral Health Care During Pregnancy: A National Consensus Statement (OHRC)
- Article: Periodontal Infection and Preterm Birth: Successful Periodontal Therapy Reduces the Risk of Preterm Birth (BJOG, 2010)
- Oral Health & Pregnancy Women Resource Center (CDHP)
- Bright Smiles in Practice: Oral Health-Pocket Guide for Dental and Health Professionals (OHRC)
- Considerations for the Dental Treatment of Pregnant Women (CSDA)
- Article: Pregnancy outcome after in utero exposure to local anesthetics as part of dental treatment (JADA)
Medicaid Dental Benefit for Pregnant Enrollees
Virginia Medicaid and FAMIS MOMS coverage offer comprehensive dental benefits for pregnant women.
- Smiles for Children – A Guide to Pregnant Women’s Dental Benefits - English or Spanish
- DentaQuest Information to Find a Provider for Pregnant Women
- Medicaid/FAMIS MOMS Application Information
- Fact Sheet for Medical and Dental Providers on Services Covered