COMMUNITY WATER FLUORIDATION
The Benefits of Community Water Fluoridation
As a naturally occurring mineral, fluoride prevents cavities on the surface of teeth and builds strong teeth in the future. Children and adults can improve their oral health by drinking fluoridated water. See the infographic at the right for more information.
Community water fluoridation (CWF) makes fluoride accessible to everyone. Public water systems adjust fluoride levels in the water to a safe and healthy amount. In Virginia, nearly 6.7 million Virginians benefit from receiving optimally fluoridated drinking water.
CWF saves families and communities money by avoiding unnecessary dental treatment costs. There are also indirect savings for communities by avoiding losses to productivity and frequent follow-up treatment. Recent research showed that communities of more than 1,000 people saved an average of $20 for every $1 invested in CWF.
Join the Rapid Response Team
Catalyst coordinates the Community Water Fluoridation (CWF) Rapid Response Team alongside the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) and other state partners to help localities maintain existing, or begin new, water fluoridation practices. These efforts include responding to fluoridation challenges at the local level and promoting VDH programs to deliver training and education, and provide funding to localities to improve water system equipment.
Spread the Word! Water Fluoridation Resources
Community water fluoridation is under attack as misinformation about fluoride spreads. Find out if your community's water is fluoridated and learn more about the value and health benefits of fluoridated drinking water through the resources below.
- Talking to Your Patients About Community Water Fluoridation: A Guide for Dental and Medical Professionals (NY Dept. of Health)
- Fluoridation Training Online (CDC)
- Fluoride and Fluoridation Resources (CDHP)
- Community Water Fluoridation - Fundamentals, Topics, Guidelines and Policy (CDC)
- Water Fluoridation: Frequently Asked Questions (PEW)
- Fluoride Legislative User Information Database (FLUID)
- Complete Review of National Toxicology Program’s Second Draft Monograph on Fluoride Exposure and Neurodevelopmental and Cognitive Effects (NASEM)
- Campaign for Dental Health | Campaña por la Salud Dental (AAP)
- Modern Miracles: 10 Ways We Beat Disease Over the Last Century (FluorideExposed.org)
- Community Water Fluoridation Workshops from the VDH (VDH)
- Rethink Your Drink (West Virginia Oral Health Coalition)
- American Dental Association 2021 Action For Fluoride
For more information on community water fluoridation in your area, contact Elliot Popoff.