A study was recently published in JAMA Pediatrics regarding fluoride. Read Virginia Health Catalyst's statement on the study here.
Water fluoridation is “one of the greatest public health achievements of the 20th century.”
Community Water Fluoridation Rapid Response Team
Virginia Health Catalyst works with the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) and other state partners to help localities maintain existing, or begin new, water fluoridation practices. These efforts include responding to fluoridation challenges through a CWF Rapid Response Team and promoting the VDH's programs to deliver training and provide funding to localities to improve water system equipment.
The Benefits of Community Water Fluoridation
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) declares water fluoridation as “one of the greatest public health achievements of the 20th century.” As a naturally occurring mineral fluoride helps ensure everyone has an opportunity for a healthy smile. In Virginia, nearly 6.7 million Virginians benefit from receiving optimally fluoridated drinking water.
Community water fluoridation helps make fluoride accessible to everyone, it is the process of adjusting fluoride levels in a water supply to help prevent tooth decay. Fluoride draws calcium back into the enamel, which strengthens teeth. Drinking water is an ideal vehicle for fluoride because families can benefit without spending extra money or changing their routine.
Not only does fluoride have benefits for community members, for most cities, every $1 invested in water fluoridation saves $38 in unnecessary dental treatment costs.
Spread the Word! Water Fluoridation Resources
Community water fluoridation is under attack as myths about fluoride spread. Find out if your community water is fluoridated and learn more through the resources below on the value and health benefits of fluoridated drinking water.
- Fluoridation Training Online (CDC)
- Fluoride and Fluoridation Resources (CDHP)
- Community Water Fluoridation - Fundamentals, Topics, Guidelines and Policy (CDC)
- Virginia-Specific Information on Community Water Fluoridation (VDH)
- Water Fluoridation: Frequently Asked Questions (PEW)
- Fluoride Legislative User Information Database (FLUID)
- Fluoride Science Website (Center for Fluoride Research and Analysis)
- Campaign for Dental Health | Campaña por la Salud Dental (AAP)
- Modern Miracles: 10 Ways We Beat Disease Over the Last Century (FluorideExposed.org)
- Community Water Fluoridation Workshops from the VDH (VDH)
- Rethink Your Drink (West Virginia Oral Health Coalition)
For more information on community water fluoridation in your area, contact Samantha Dorr.