The U.S. Senate intends to vote on a bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and gut Medicaid next week. The repeal legislation will cause millions of Americans to lose their health coverage and set in motion devastating cuts to Medicaid.
There are several ways you can help protect health care for vulnerable Americans:
- Call and thank Senator Kaine and Senator Warner for strongly opposing the American Health Care Act and threats to the ACA.
Senator Kaine: 202.224.4024 | Senator Warner: 202.224.2023
- Amplify your opposition through social media using the hash tags #ProtectOurCare, #KeepKidsCovered, #SaveMyCare, #Medicaid, or #ProtectMedicaid. Use this tool from the Public Health Institute to share messages on Twitter and Facebook.
- Urge colleagues, friends and family in other states to contact their Senators and ask them to oppose the Senate Republicans' health care bill.
- Hold House members accountable for their votes. Rep. Comstock was the only Virginia Republican to oppose the House version of this bill, stating too many Virginians would lose access to health care; all Democratic representatives opposed the legislation. Find your House representative here.
Tell Congress you do not support legislation that leaves millions without insurance coverage and makes giant cuts to health care for seniors, children, veterans, people with disabilities, and people suffering with substance use and mental health conditions.
Senators should OPPOSE this bill because it:
- Decimates the Medicaid program which currently provides health care coverage to 1 out of 8 Virginians, the majority of whom are children and disabled or elderly adults;
- Undermines the consumer protections put in place by the Affordable Care Act, including Essential Health Benefit protections which provide for children's oral health coverage and protect coverage for preexisting conditions; and,
- Eliminates cost-sharing subsidies and reduces the income threshold for tax credits for individuals who purchase insurance through the individual market.
The Virginia Oral Health Coalition is committed to protecting access to affordable, comprehensive health coverage that is inclusive of oral health. If you have any questions, please contact Sarah Bedard Holland at 804.269.8721. Please share this alert with colleagues and friends!
For more resources and details, check out our friends at Children's Dental Health Project, Community Catalyst and Families USA.