The Virginia Oral Health Coalition (www.vaoralhealth.org) is an alliance of organizations and individuals striving to improve the health and well being of all Virginians by ensuring oral health is part of comprehensive health care. The Coalition seeks a Communications Manager to develop an external communications strategy which includes researching, writing and distributing strategic communications pieces to reinforce the Coalition’s mission and support key initiatives.
Specific responsibilities and job requirements are listed below.
- Develop annual communications plan, which measures impact, across all organizational areas that aligns with and furthers strategic initiatives
- Research, write and distribute mission-focused collateral material including white papers, op eds, letters to the editor, blog posts, social media messages and fact sheets
- Provide communication support to each member of the Coalition team
- Ensure the Coalition brand – its visuals and voice – remain consistent across the organization
- Assist with grant writing
- Assist with update of the Coalition website to include working with a small focus group and designing/developing new content
- Manage and facilitate media relations
Successful candidates will demonstrate:
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral; ability to translate complex ideas into clear, compelling messages for non-expert audiences
- Experience writing a variety of content, including white papers, emails, newsletters, brochures, blogs and other related online and print communications
- Strong editing/proofreading skills
- Ability to work well with a wide variety of people
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as work as part of a team
- Graphic design skills and/or experience with fundraising communications a plus
- Flexibility, a sense of humor and desire to work in a drama-free, collaborative, hard-working and fun environment
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism or related field preferred with at least five years of experience in communications, public relations, marketing, business or related field
- Five samples of recent work, including at least one example that communicates a complex issue. Clearly explain your role in the creation of the work.
- Nonprofit and public health experience a plus
$51,000/annually. This is a full time, exempt, position
Stipend toward medical and dental coverage, retirement, and generous PTO.
To apply, please submit all materials below by April 18:
- Cover letter
- Five writing samples (attach as PDF files)
No phone calls please. Incomplete applications will not be considered. All applications will be treated confidentially.