- This event has passed.
Special Needs Dentistry – You Can Do It! Springfield, VA
June 17 @ 7:45 am - June 18 @ 1:00 pm
Special Needs Dentistry – You Can Do It! is a free two-day in-person continuing education course offered to dental professionals to update their knowledge in special needs dentistry. Matthew R. Cooke, DDS, MD, MPH, will present the most current clinical information regarding effective and safe dental care for individuals with special health care needs (ISHCN), including interactive case-based discussions. Topics to be addressed include treatment planning to address risk vs. benefit; behavior guidance techniques; disabilities, syndromes, and conditions with orofacial manifestations; ethics, advocacy, and trends in special care dentistry; and integration of special needs dentistry into your practice. Kami A. Piscitelli, RDH, VA Department of Health Special Needs Oral Health Coordinator, will also provide a presentation regarding disability etiquette, tips and tricks for making dental visits easier for ISHCN, and hygiene adaptations for people with home care challenges.
The course is tailored to an audience of dentists, dental hygienists, dental assistants, and senior (D4) dental students. Teaching methods include lecture and audience engagement. This course will NOT be offered online or recorded. See a detailed course agenda and learn how to register here.
The trainings will take place on:
- Friday, June 17, 7:45 am – 4:00 pm
- Saturday, June 18, 7:45 am – 1:00 pm
The speakers have no relevant financial relationships to disclose. No prior skill level or knowledge of special needs dentistry is required.
- Discuss the need for three components of treatment planning for ISHCN: Medical, Dental/Surgical, Behavioral.
- Identify at least one reason for determining risk-versus-benefit while treatment planning for ISHCN.
- Identify two behavior guidance techniques and their advantages/disadvantages.
- Discuss a few disabilities/syndromes with craniofacial manifestations.
- Recognize the need for the entire dental team’s involvement when treating ISHCN.
- Point out a few clinical tips or hygiene tool modifications for ISHCN.
11.5 CERP Credits for Dental Professionals attending both days
Space is limited – Click here to register today!
We look forward to seeing you live and in-person!!