Increasing the Number of School-Based Oral Health Programs in the Commonwealth
Request for Proposals
Catalyst is requesting proposals for a maximum of 10 dental safety net clinics to participate in a collaborative learning cohort that will offer education, support, technical assistance, and connection to school nurses and clinic staff interested in beginning school-based oral health programs. This program is available through a partnership with the Delta Dental Foundation of Virginia and the Virginia Department of Health. Applications are due online by Friday, March 5, 2021.
Purpose: To increase the number of Virginia children that receive oral health services, with a focus on preventive care, by growing the number of school-based oral health programs by ten during the 2021-22 school year.
About the Project
The Virginia Department of Health will extend $20,000 per clinic to develop infrastructure, purchase equipment and supplies, and provide initial administrative support. Funding will begin once a fully executed contract is in place and must be spent by August 15, 2021.
This funding will support:
- Supplies and equipment
- Administrative support
The funding will not support:
- Direct care
Participating safety net clinics will attend three 60-minute virtual learning sessions and a 6-hour training session on July 28 with CEs provided. School nurse partners working in the same regions as the clinics will join in the latter part of the learning cohort. The sessions will cover:
- Best practices in school-based oral health care;
- How school-based programs can decrease inequities;
- Implementation guidance (consent forms/parent engagement, services, equipment and space, scheduling/logistics, care coordination); and
- Communication and coordination among school and clinic teams and follow-through.
Participants will have access to a private space on the Catalyst website for tools, resources, and a material list with all necessary items for successful execution. Continuing education credits will be provided for participating school nurses and dental professionals.
Anticipated outcomes of the collaborative include:
- Replicable strategy for 10 clinics and 10 schools to implement SBOHPs
- New, sustainable SBOHPs that operate with strong collaboration between clinics and school nurses
- Enhanced partnership among DOE, school nurses and safety net clinics
- An increase of 1,000 children that receive oral care in the school year
Eligibility and Application
Eligible sites must be a dental safety net clinic or a non-profit dental clinic in Virginia. Your site may already have a SBOHP, which you are interested in expanding to other schools, but it is not necessary.
Apply online through the Virginia Health Catalyst website by EOD Friday, March 5, 2021. All submitted applications will be reviewed by Catalyst staff members. The review process may involve a phone conference or interview with applicants on a case-by-case basis, though it may not be required. A maximum of 10 clinics will be selected.
- RFP release: 2/17/2021
- Proposal submissions due: 3/5/2021
- Proposal review and notification: 3/10/2021
- Learning sessions:
- 3/26/2021: 1 hr. meeting
- 6/25/2021: 1 hr. meeting
- 7/28/2021: Collaborative 6 hr. meeting with local school nurses, dental CEs provided
- 8/6/2021: Collaborative 1 hr. meeting with school nurses
- VDH funding: must be spent by 8/15/2021